Always put your version number in your searches and look for recently posted/updated links. There are many old posts that may match your search.
If you’re searching for minecraft info always look for links at the following sites first.
- Minecraft Wiki – http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Wiki
- Minecraft ID List – http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Data_values
- Planet Minecraft – http://www.planetminecraft.com/ – Lots of texture packs and worlds
Sites to Avoid
There are really annoying sites that just copy information from or just link to real sites (like the ones above) that will lie about the versions and features of their links. They are just trying to trick you to click on their links so they can make money from ad sales. If you cant find what your looking for anywhere else you can try these sites, but odds are, the links wont work.
- (there are more .. if it’s not minecraftforum or planetminecraft, be suspicious)
Some fun mods to try
- Too Many Items
- Single Player Commands (not updated for 1.6.2 yet)
How to install Texture Packs (aka Resource Packs) in Minecraft
- Launch Minecraft.
- Select “Mods and Texture Packs”
- Select “Open Texture Pack folder”
Some good links for texture packs;
How to download and install maps (worlds) in Minecraft
- Open up the Library folder in your home directory, then open Application Support, and then Minecraft (~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/)
- If you don’t see the Library folder in your home directory type the following in a terminal window
chflags nohidden ~/Library
- Copy your downloaded maps into the saves folder in the minecraft folder from step 1
Some Fun Maps
- Super Pirate Battle Royale – http://www.ocddisco.com/2012/03/minecraft-super-pirate-battle-royale/
- Vertoak City – http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/274371-creationadventure-vertoak-city-v110-massive-city-amazing-detail/
- Board Game Geek – http://boardgamegeek.com/ – everything board game related including summaries, reviews, photos & discussion forums.
- Table Top Podcast with Wil Wheaton – http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4F80C7D2DC8D9B6C (warning – some occasional ‘bad words’) – A fun video podcast of actor Wil Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation) along with other friends playing various board games. Great way to learn about different games by seeing them actually being played.